There was once a time where the only way to straighten your teeth was by using traditional braces. Patients would have to have brackets and wires applied and then wear them for months, and sometimes years, to achieve the perfect smile.
Now, straightening your teeth is a process made much simpler by Invisalign®. With multiple benefits and fewer interruptions to your daily life, Invisalign provides an easy and cost-efficient way to straighten the teeth of adults and children alike. So what is Invisalign? In this blog, we’ll discuss how the Invisalign process works, the dental issues it can help solve, and some helpful tips to help make your Invisalign experience a good one.
Why Get Invisalign?
Everyone has different reasons for considering Invisalign treatment. For some, it is a purely cosmetic decision. For others, Invisalign can be a means of helping treat certain, persisting dental problems. Some reasons to consider Invisalign treatment include:
- Overcrowded teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Misaligned teeth
How Invisalign Works
Once you’ve decided to pursue Invisalign treatment, your first step should be to get in touch with the Wilmington, NC dentists at Salling & Tate to schedule your consultation. From there, we will take a 3D scan of your smile and use it to create a customized treatment plan.
After that, your scans are sent to Invisalign where their team creates a series of aligners designed to perfectly fit your teeth. Once created, Invisalign sends your custom aligners to us and you’ll come in for a fitting to ensure your first aligners are just right. From there, it’s just a matter of time until you have a brand new smile!
Each set of aligners is generally worn for 1-2 weeks before you switch to the next one. Every aligner is slightly different, which helps your teeth move at a consistent and safe pace. You’ll come back to our office every couple of months so we can check your progress and provide you with your next batch of aligners.
The length of your Invisalign treatment depends on your specific needs. Some people complete their treatment in as few as six months, and others may need to wear the aligners for a year or more. Regardless, once your treatment is done, you’ll have a brand new smile and beautiful, straight teeth!
Benefits of Invisalign
There are plenty of reasons to consider Invisalign over traditional braces. Aside from being more aesthetically pleasing, Invisalign patients can also enjoy advantages like:
- No food restrictions. Since you can take your aligners out to eat and drink, Invisalign patients don’t have to avoid the same foods that someone with traditional braces would.
- The aligners are virtually invisible. No more avoiding family pictures or worrying about showing your braces.
- Brushing and flossing are easy. Removable aligners mean there’s no need for special flossing and brushing tools.
- Fewer visits to the dentist. Braces require plenty of office visits to tighten wires or fix brackets, but Invisalign only requires the occasional checkup!
- Improved comfort. Where braces can cause soreness, scraping, and tension, Invisalign aligners are painless!
Whether you’re still considering Invisalign or are just starting your treatment, here are some tips to help ensure your experience is a good one:
- Keep your case handy. Try to remember to ring your case anywhere you go. That way, if you need to take your aligners out, you can put them in their cases versus wrapping them up in a tissue or napkin.
- Switch to new aligners before bedtime. Invisalign treatment requires periodically switching to new aligners. When it’s time for your next set, try to remember to switch right before you go to sleep. That way, your teeth will get a long, uninterrupted period to adjust to the new aligners.
- Avoid food dye. It might be tempting to use a cough drop or have a lollipop while wearing your aligners, but doing so can trap sugar between your aligners and your teeth, and even cause aligner discoloration.
- Keep a dental “kit” with you. A small toothbrush and travel-sized toothpaste can go a long way toward keeping your teeth, and your aligners, clean, even when you’re on the go.
If you think Invisalign might be the right choice for you, we’d love to help you start the process. Or, if you have any questions about how Invisalign works, we’d be happy to help! All you have to do is give us a call at 910-256-9040.